GOUSA Opportunity Score System TM
GOUSA Opportunity ScoreTM, Political Rating System Based on GOUSA’s 5-Point Opportunity Star
The message is simple: Either our elected officials in America are working FOR us and securing opportunity for a better life for ourselves, our families and communities – or they are corruptly working AGAINST us, eliminating opportunity and serving themselves, their pockets, corporate lobbyists and special interests instead.
The American people are rightfully furious about politics today, with 4 out of 5 disapproving of Congress’ job. And, it’s not a partisan issue: In a recent Pew Research poll, 3 out of 4 US Citizens believe that their government and legislators are corrupt and unaccountable to the public, and that our elected officials do not face serious consequences for misconduct. 70% believe do not think that our government is “open and transparent”, and these opinions are shared on the Left and Right by both Democrats and Republicans.
We need a clear way to determine which of these people is working for us, and which ones are working against us. A rating and tracking system based on universal principles of “Opportunity” is needed to hold our elected officials – and candidates for office – accountable. This is why the GOUSA Opportunity ScoreTMpolitician rating system was created.
Every day, the average American is held accountable to keep their jobs, their driver’s licenses, and maintain their credit ratings. If you miss a car or mortgage payment, your credit score will be immediately hit. Credit scoring agencies continuously monitor consumers’ payment history and keep them in in line, or it not they find themselves losing their credit, unable to get access to loans, credit cards or home financing.
We need a universal political rating system like this for our elected officials, who will often lie and use slick ad campaigns and media hits to get into office – or to keep their seats – and then break their promises and go to work for their own pockets, power, control, and outside interests instead of us, the people, their true bosses.
We must demand that politicians earn a high Opportunity Score to get elected and stay in office, regardless of their party. Ones that do not need to removed from office at the ballot box, primary challenged within their own party and then defeated at the polls by strong candidates who rate high on the Opportunity scale.
Note that politicians from all parties are included in this universal political rating system, and that the scoring criteria is based on 32 popular, common sense pro-opportunity principles and ideals, each of which enjoys popular support among the majority of Americans.
This rating system was built for citizens who are simply wanting to preserve the American Dream: securing their liberties, prosperity and opportunity for a better life.
The Opportunity Score system is based on GOUSA’s 5 Points of Opportunity as featured in the five-point star depicted below, “Personal Opportunity” at the top point, followed by the rest in clockwise fashion: Economic, Social, Educational and National Opportunity. Politicians are rated based on their voting records, positions, statements to the press and social media posts.
The red, white and blue “upright” star-circle logo icon represents one positive, “Pro-Opportunity” point in the rating system. Positive points range from zero to +5.0. Politician rating points are depicted in stars, to the nearest ¼ fraction.
The red and yellow “upside down” star-circle logo icon represents one negative, “Anti-Opportunity” point in the rating system. Negative points range from zero to -5.0. Politician rating points are depicted in stars, to the nearest ¼ fraction.
Max Rating: 5.0 (Five Point Score = Maximum Rating, Strong Pro-Opportunity).
Min. Rating: -5.0 (Negative Five Point Score = Worst Rating, Extreme Anti-Opportunity)
4.0 to 5.0 : Strong Pro-Opportunity Score
3.0 to 4.0 : Moderate Pro-Opportunity Score
0 to 3.0 : Weak Opportunity Score
0 : No Opportunity Score
0 to -3.0 : Poor Anti-Opportunity Score
-3.0 to -5.0 : Extreme Anti-Opportunity Score
Note: Scores are either a full positive numerical score if in clear support of a position, full negative numerical score if in clear opposition to a position, or zero if (a) unable to ascertain a clear position or (b) positions on a given topic are ambiguous or evenly mixed. Not fractional scores permitted. (i.e., if point weight score listed is 0.25, the score is either 0.25, 0, or -0.25, and not a fraction of these amounts). Maximum high score is 5.0 and maximum low score is -5.0.
Politicians are rated based on the following criteria:
- Completion of GOUSA’s Opportunity Survey (not required, but strongly encouraged)
- Voting Record
- Public Policy Positions
- Media Statements
- Social Media Posts
- Personal Opportunity
- Support Our 1st Amendment Rights:
- Support Our 2nd Amendment Rights:
- Support of the US Constitution and Your State Constitution (Overall):
- Oppose the broad expansion of Government & Unconstitutional Power:
- Oppose late term, partial birth and post-birth abortions:
TOTAL (40%): + 2.0 / -2.0
- Economic Opportunity
- Support of free market economics / oppose socialism = dictator economics
- Support of American workers and jobs, and fair trade laws
- Support of lower taxes and reducing excess regulations
- Oppose unchecked corporate monopolies & technology oligarchs
- Oppose fraud, wasteful spending and corruption in government
TOTAL (15%): +0.75 / -0.75
- Social Opportunity
- Support of equal civil rights for people of all backgrounds, races, ages, religions, orientations, lifestyles and political beliefs
- Oppose all bigotry; identity, gender & racial politics; and critical race theory
- Support of the nuclear (2-parent) family, hetero or same sex
- Support affordable, accessible, and quality (market-driven) health care
- Support prison reform, and assistance for veterans, the elderly, the disabled, disadvantaged youth and those most in need
TOTAL (15%): +0.75 / -0.75
- Educational Opportunity
- Support school choice, school vouchers, more parental involvement, oppose Common Core
- Support teaching factual American history, US politics & civics in schools
- Support free speech and freedom of expression on campus
- Support trade schools, economically viable degrees & career paths
- Address the high cost of tuition through college and government reforms
TOTAL (15%): +0.75 / -0.75
- National Opportunity
- Support US Military strength, readiness, our servicemen & women
- Support our local police, fire, first responders
- Support border security, lawful immigration, stemming border crime & drugs
- Support remaining a country of laws and enforcement, against politicization
- Support sensible, free market and science-based environmental solutions
TOTAL (15%): +0.75 / -0.75
FINAL TOTAL: +5.0 / -5.0
Addendum to Five Point Rating System – Penalty Points:
Subtract One Full Point for each one of the following if not supported by the politician (note: maximum be removed in this section are two points, and maximum negative score is -5.0 in any circumstance)
- Term Limits: Support, adhere to, and publicly promote state and federal elected office term limits of 12 years maximum. If currently in office, support and adhere a maximum of 12 additional years in office. *Or, support of any kind of substantially similar term limits plan.
- Lobbying Ban: Support, adhere to, and publicly promote lobbying limits for state and federal elected office, banning corporate lobbying for a period of 10 years after leaving office. *Or, support of any kind of substantially similar lobbying limits.
- Support, adhere to, and publicly promote keeping 9 Justices on the US Supreme Court.
- Support, adhere to, and publicly promote transparent, free, and fair elections and voter ID laws.
Subtract Three Full Points for each one of the following extreme characteristics of the representative/candidate (note: maximum negative score is -5.0 in any circumstance):
- Clear and unambiguous support for political violence and/or violent mob brutality (including ANTIFA, Boogaloo Bois, the KKK or other Left / Right groups promoting violence)
- Clear and unambiguous support for outright bigotry, racism, sexism, anti-Semitism or homophobia
- Clear and unambiguous support for communist, Islamist, fascist or other totalitarian ideologies